Microsoft Word/Microsoft Word - bullets

Question
Aidan, I appreciate your help with my previous Excel question very much!

How do you keep the same type of bullet when you have different levels of points?  For example, on the first row, I added a bullet to my first point.  On the next row, I pressed Tab once and clicked the bullet button, "Word" would return a different bullet than the first one.  On the third row, I pressed Tab twice and click the bullet button, "Word" would return a different bullet than the first two.  In reality, I will have more than one entry at the various levels, but the idea is the same.

Also, sometimes, after I finish typing a bulleted point at the 3rd level (e.g. involve 2 tabs or think of ~3 cm location), it would not let me go back to the 1st level or the ~1 cm location(no manual pressing tab is needed but an automatic indent will take place when I click the bullet button).  Instead, it persistently brings me back to the 3rd level location.  How do I go from the 3rd level location to the 1st level location and insert a bullet at the 1st location?

I use Word 2007 and 2010.

Answer
Multilevel bullets have always been a bit of a nightmare - but if you click on to the style that is closest to the one you want to use on the paragraph ribbon, apply it, then reclick and choose define new multilevel list you will be able to specify the bullets etc that you want for each location.  Keyboard shortcut to move up and down levels is alt shift right arrow to move up and alt shift down arrow to move down.

HOPEFULLY this gives you what you need but do let me know if I can help further - currently suffering from a stomach bug, so typing this answer quickly!
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage