Microsoft Word/problem with Table of Contents

Question
hello Suzanne, how've you been?

I use Word 2007 and Windows 7.
When I want to create a Table of Contents (TOC)for a document that is loaded with headings formatted with Heading styles, the TOC is just fine. Whether the headings are labeled with a letter or number, e.g., A. Illinois
         1. Chicago
         B. California
         1. San Francisco
the TOC appears as expected:
         A. Illinois................4
         1. Chicago.............4
         B. California..............6
         1. San Francisco.......6
but when BOTH Heading styles AND the NORMAL style are used, the TOC takes on an unexpected appearance:
         A. .......................Illinois
         4
         1..................... Chicago
         4
         B. ........................California
         6
         1......................San Francisco
         6
With judicious tinkering, using the Backspace and Delete keys, I readily convert this weird result to the conventional TOC format.

By trial and error, I've found that if the Normal style is replaced with the List Paragraph style, the above problem does not occur.
Furthermore, when the headings are used without lettering or numbering the Normal styled heading, the TOC is fine!!
What are your thoughts about this matter? What can be done to make the Normal style behave normally (!!) ?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you.
Chris

Answer
I'm not exactly sure what you're describing. If you have numbered headings, they work as expected, but numbered paragraphs in the Normal style do not? Ordinarily paragraphs in the Normal style would not appear in the TOC (nor would List Paragraph), and if you did include Normal (by assigning it an outline level other than Body Text), then all Normal paragraphs would appear, and surely that would not be what you want. In any case, it is not likely the formatting of the headings themselves that is the issue but rather the formatting of the relevant TOC style.

By default, a TOC field uses TOC 1 style for Level 1 headings (such as Title and Heading 1), TOC 2 for Level 2 headings (Subtitle and Heading 2), TOC 3 for Heading 3 and so on. The styles are indented progressively, and each style includes a hanging indent with a corresponding tab stop, and numbered headings generally have a tab between the number and the text. If the tab stop is missing or set incorrectly, then you get the effect you describe. With the insertion point in any TOC entry that is exhibiting the problem, look at the horizontal ruler and see where the hanging indent is set and whether there is a tab stop there. Adjust the indent as required, or add a tab stop if it's missing, and that should correct the problem. Since the TOC styles are set to update automatically, correcting it in one entry will correct it for all other entries at that level. Repeat the process for each TOC level.

If you really are including paragraphs in the Normal style, and if you have numbered them manually instead of using auto numbering, then the problem may be that they don't contain a tab character, though I don't think even that would result in the effect you describe. It seems much more likely that the TOC style is missing a tab stop (or that it is flush left because there is no hanging indent), and so the tab is going to the right-aligned tab stop for page number, and then the automatically generated tab for the page number is going to the left margin of the next line.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill