Microsoft Word/strange-looking table of contents

hello Nancy!
Please to meet you again.

I use Word 2007 and Windows 7.
I'm having a very difficult time creating a Table of Contents when the styles of the items are a mix of Heading styles and others such as Normal style and list paragraph style.

I have created several different scenarios where the above mix is used.The best way for you to see my problem is to show you the result, but when I tried to copy/and paste into this note, the result was a distortion.
I would like to be able to email some examples of my problem by attaching them.

What I can tell you now about the appearance of the Table of Contents is that the titles are appearing on the right side of the page and the page numbers appear on the left side, just the opposite of what the Table should look like.
These results occur ONLY when outline letters or numbers are placed in front of the items. Without the outline characters, I can mix Heading and other styles and obtain a normal-looking Table of Contents.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you

Chris you are welcome to send a copy of the table of contents, I think you can attach a document to an experts question.  I probably not be able to review it until after work tomorrow (Monday).

Oh I see you might only be able to attach an image - you can send a copy to

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.