Microsoft Word/TOCs and other matters

Mahesh, you are very cooperative with a guy (me) who is a bit busy with other things, just, as I know, you are.

We're not on the same page, as the expression goes.
You are apparently under the impression that I'm having trouble with generating a TOC. Nothing could be further from the truth, as the expression goes.

What I don't (or didn't) understand is how you get two lines to possess the same style, Normal in this case, yet one line is labelled (with a number/or letter)and the other one is not labelled at all.
By using the Show/Hide tool, the answer becomes clear, i think.
You're manually marking the line to go into a TOC using the Alt+Shift+O approach. You use Ctrl+Shift+8 to show the code. With the code visible, on one of the two lines,you manually enter the label (number/or letter) to appear in the TOC!!
Have I got it right? I will try this soon. I realize that you wrote all this in one of your first replies,I just didn't get it.

do I get it now?

Thanks again.

Hi Chris,

The paragraph is numbered manually. In the document I shared with you the number 1 was manually keyed in. Followed by a period and a tab. In the newer MSWord versions, when you do that the style changes automatically to List Paragraph. To avoid that simply press Ctrl+Z. This will retain the style to be normal.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Mahesh K
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

I will be able to answer questions relating to MsWord operations. Any kind of troubleshooting, formatting tricks, shortcuts, etc. which people will need help on. I can also troubleshoot/format documents which are challenging for some users. It helps if users send the document in question along with the query.

I have been a word processor and handling a word processing team for 3yrs. Also been a trainer for word processing.

I had been a expert in this panel before.

B.Sc (Physics)