Microsoft Word/Avery Return Address label 8195

Question
It says use Template 5195, but my Microsoft Word '97 does not show that or any of the equal template it said would work.ie: 5155, 8195 to name a couple.
I have gone into the Envelope/labels section and have built a custom
label.  The above named label has 4 across and 15 down. Each label is 2/3 x 1-3/4". I have set for .6 x 1.75. All measurements are in tenths in my Word '97. I need to adjust the vertical spacing ( Space between labels going down ) The first three row print fairly well but as my Lexmark 2300 prints down, it begins to overlap. I'm getting 3 decent printed rows at the top and about 3 rows at the bottom.

Answer
Custom labels are always tricky. More important than the actual label dimensions are the vertical and horizontal pitch (the distance between one edge--top, bottom, left or right side--and the corresponding edge of an adjacent label). Make sure you've got that right, too. And of course the top and left margins are also critical.

Even when you get everything right, your printer may not cooperate. Some printers can print labels beautifully on plain paper, but then they do a poor job of feeding the actual label stock. If that's your problem, there's not much way around it.

And even the built-in label definitions sometimes aren't absolutely precise; I notice a certain amount of drift in some of mine--not crucial for a sheet of six large shipping labels, but it certainly would be on 60 small ones.

If you are not successful in creating a working label definition, you might try the template at http://www.avery.com/avery/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=6d7eae8c3417a110VgnVCM100000211 (short link: http://goo.gl/obvrz). Be sure you choose the radio button for just the template (you don't need any extra toolbars). Before you can download it, you have to provide your name (or a name) and email address, but be sure to choose the radio button for "No, not at this time" to avoid being spammed with emails from Avery. Judging from the comments, users didn't think this template was the greatest, but it's free, so it might be worth a try.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill