Microsoft Word/combining documents

QUESTION: hello Suzanne!
In a recent email, you wrote "I have no experience with combining documents this way...".
Considering the trouble I'm having with this topic as I have written to you,may I ask you to let me know how do you combine documents? It would be great relief to me, to find another way to accomplish my goal.

You also asked me "before you save the "Sandra" file, are you accepting the corrections?" the answer is Yes.

Thirdly, you asked whether I see the duplications in Final view.
Somnetimes I don't, but other times I do. I guess I'm confused with all the options available in the Track Changes Options dialog box.

With all this trouble I'm having, another way, which you refer to, of combining documens, would be a great relief.

Thank you
I'm desperate, and I need your reply.

ANSWER: I'm sorry my previous answer was misleading. I have no experience with the Combine Documents feature because I don't have any need to merge several versions of a document. This is a specific requirement of users who receive documents marked up by several "reviewers," and I am never in that situation because all the work I do is either for myself or for clients who don't use Word's markup tools at all; they are Luddites who fax me back printout marked up by hand! So I don't have a different method, just no need for any method.

The bottom line, then, is that I use Word's Track Changes and Compare/Combine Documents features only very rarely (and usually reluctantly). When I do edit files for clients, I don't use Track Changes; I tell them if they want to see what I've done, they can use Compare Documents to compare the result with their original! (Usually there are so many tiny changes that one look discourages them from further discussion.)

Also, since I use Word 2003 for production work, I'm not really familiar with the Track Changes options in Word 2007, 2010, and 2013, which are subtly different. So I really just don't have the experience or expertise to help with this problem.

QUESTION: thank you, Suzanne, for a very clear and frank reply.
So where do I go for help?

One or two of the experts could not help me either.

I thought of trying the Microsoft forum, but I get confused there.I'm not clear how I will find a reply to my question.

The Microsoft Community ( is your best bet. When you ask a question, there's a box to check to be notified of replies. When you get the email, there's a link back to your question.

In order to ask a question, you must create a profile (which requires a LiveID, which you probably already have), and you can sign in and go to that profile and find all your questions listed. See the Getting Started page ( and the FAQ page ( for more information.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors