Microsoft Word/compare documents

Question
hi Suzanne, how've you been?

I use Word 2007 and Windows 7

When comparing documents, I click the Review tab, then the Compare button in the Compare group. The Compare Documents dialog box appears; near the top, on the left side, I see a box in which I enter the name of the original document. On the right side, there is a similar box and I enter the name of the revised document.

Question #1-under each of these two boxes, I see the words "label changes with" and next to each of these words, there is a heavily bordered empty box. HOW do I use this feature?

Question #2- say I am comparing two large documents, maybe thirty pages long. Say the revised document contains changes "all over the place". HOW do I find all the revisions? Do I have to flip, page after page after page to find the revisions? OR is there a way to list those revisions separately, aside from the document?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks.

Chris

Answer
I don't use this feature very often (and not in Word 2007), but when I test it, I see that my username (from the User Info tab) is automatically inserted in the box on the right. Even if I swap documents (using the double arrow), the box on the left doesn't become available, and changing the radio button settings below (Original, Revised, or the default New document) doesn't make any difference, either. Possibly if you had documents that already contained markup by several reviewers you would get a choice of reviewer names?

As for seeing the changes, you can use the Next button in the Changes group on the Review tab to skip to the next marked change. Alternatively, you can choose "List of markup" under "Print what" in the Print dialog, and this will give you a list of all the changes.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill