Microsoft Word/Double Boarders around Pictures

I am making name tags for our 50th class reunion and I want to put 2 boarders around the pictures in our school colors.  I can put one boarder around  the picture but not 2.  I have used the shape tool but I try and place it over the picture it covers the picture.  I tried to bring the picture forward but it doesn't work the picture doesn't come up.  What can I do to change this?

A lot will depend on how you're making the nametags and how you're inserting the pictures. If you're using a label template (such as a standard Avery template for nametags), it will be set up as a table, which will make inserting photos difficult at best (but see Pictures that are In Line With Text can have borders applied from the Borders dialog, and pictures with any other wrapping style can have a "line" added via the Line Style on the Colors and Lines of the Format Picture dialog.

While there is some variety in the borders/lines that can be applied this way, however, none of them can be more than a single color, so the method you're using is about the only way to get a second color. What you're missing is that you must set the fill color of your shape to None and use just the line color for your border. It's conceivable that you could make a solid rectangle and send it behind your photo, but I think this way will be easier.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors