Microsoft Word/Headers in Word

Question
As I formatted by capstone project, I added headers in APA format. On five (out of 100) pages, the spacing is off for the headers. Instead of being the normal size for a normal page, there is a HUGE space under the title and page number. There are no "enters" after the heading and page number. I have tried formatting the header and paragraph and everything else I can think of to try. How can I fix the spacing problem on these few pages?

Thank you so much for your help!

Answer
Hi Debbie,

I empathize with you on this issue.

Here is what I suggest:  Make sure that all of your sections are formatted the same way.  

What happens sometimes when we use Section Breaks, we change the settings on the new section (maybe inadvertently indicating spacing changes, etc.) and this changes the header styles.  

Go to the first header and copy (CTRL+C) the header text
Using the navigation tools, paste (CTRL+V) the text you copied into each header section
Close the header
Save your document.

Troubleshoot:

Check to see if your vertical alignment (Page Setup) is set to Top
Remove the section breaks and replace with page breaks if the footer/header have consecutive numbering throughout the document

Let me know if this works for you.

Good luck on your project and with these steps.

Mary Lindsey

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey