Microsoft Word/microsoft word 2003 page layout

Running Office 2003 on Windows 7 64-bit. Every time I start a new Word document, it's defaulted to landscape layout. When I try to change the layout to portrait, I get an error message about right margins and it won't let me change to portrait. I've tried to reinstall Office 2003 and that hasn't corrected the problem. Any other ideas? I'm pretty much ready to scrap 2003 and upgrade to a newer version, but if you can help, it will save me some time and money.
Thanks in advance!

Hi Michelle,

I would recommend that you search for and delete in Office 2003.  

Go to Start >Search and type
Delete all versions that you find.  Then empty the recycle bin. Restart Office/Word 2003.

This should ensure that the layout stays as Portrait.

Please let me know if this helps.

Mary Lindsey
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey

I can answer all Microsoft Office 2000 to 2007 Word questions regarding formatting, styles, shortcut keys, simple macros, templates, forms, TOC, TOA, Index, Cross-References, etc. NO VBA.

Over 15 years as a legal Word Processing support personnel and Microsoft Word Master Instructor

Microsoft Office Master Instructor