Microsoft Word/Multilevel Lists

Question
Hi.  I'm using Word 2010.  I would like to customize a new multilevel list that shows as an option when I select the Multilevel List drop down in the Paragraph section of the ribbon.  I know how to customize a list...I've done it many times!  But I'm missing whatever it takes to make that list show up when I open a new document, and click on the multilevel list button. My customized list is not an option.  I DO see it as long as I stay in the document where I created it, but when I, say, open Word the next day, it's gone.  What am I doing wrong?

Answer
I'm not sure. When I open the Multilevel List gallery in a new blank document, I see "Current List" at the top, which is evidently the last monstrosity I was required to use for some document. But that's just the "last used," whether user-defined or built-in. Numbering has never been my strong point, and I'm actually still using Word 2003 for production work (Word 2007 and 2010 only for research to answer questions), so I'm less familiar with the way they work. But I think in general, since a multilevel list, to be stable, must be linked to styles, you would need to link your level to specific styles and then save those styles, as modified, to the document template. Then, instead of applying numbering by using the Multilevel List gallery, you apply it by applying those numbered styles.

You can save a "list style," and perhaps that will do what you want. I've never quite figured out how list styles work, but I know that Shauna Kelly, the numbering guru, recommended their use. For her discussion of them, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html. It seems like this might be your solution. The important thing is that, to have the customization (including the list style) available to new documents, you must save it to the template, not just in the document. You do this by selecting "New documents based on this template" in the Define New List Style dialog.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill