Microsoft Word/Can't Remove Bold Format in Mail Merge

I am using Word 2010.  Following on from, I am also seeing formatting for mail merge fields return after I have "unbolded" the field.  I've looked at the field codes and I don't see the \*MERGEFORMAT switch anywhere and the Preserve Formatting During Updates button is unchecked.  So, basically, the field is bold, I turn off the bold, save it, close the document, re-open the document, and the field is bold again.  We've used mail-merge for years and this is the first time we've encountered something like this.  ANy help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Without speculating on the reason for the problem, I'll just suggest that you add the \* CHARFORMAT switch to the field and format it as not bold. You might investigate whether the Default Paragraph Font of the style the merge field is in is bold (perhaps manually removed for the rest of the paragraph). If so, that could be a cause.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors