Microsoft Word/Watermark Issue - Word 2010

We are currently using Word 2010.  On a few particular documents (created on an older system) when the DRAFT watermark is generated parts of the watermark cannot be seen.  I have removed the transparency option in the watermark.  It seems to be a text issue.  If I clear all the formatting in the center of the page, or use the format painter and copy the format of other text, the watermark can be seen as it should.  Either step means I have to reformat that portion of the document.  It's not a difficult project, just a pain to have to reformat.  Any idea what could cause this issue?

You've already done the one thing I would have suggested (the transparency option). I had an idea that maybe watermarks didn't show up behind tables, but I just tested that, and it's not the case unless you have shading in the cells. If there's a table involved, make sure that all the cells are set to No Fill.

But this suggests another, more reasonable explanation: if your text has any sort of shading (even white), it will block the watermark. This explains why clearing the formatting or copying from unaffected areas would solve the problem. So instead of clearing all the formatting, just remove the shading.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors