Microsoft Word/document/pagination

QUESTION: I have a 360 page novel set to be approved by CreateSpace/Amazon. Then out the blue my page count went to 390! I have done lots of editing and reformatting page numbers. I have section breaks inserted as well.  It was perfect then one day while i tried to manage my title page and bio info and noticed the increase. I also sent it to CreatesSpace and used PDF to format it per their requests and i noticed the increase in pages where i had done this before with them and it was correct.  I am stuck.  Any suggestions to get my page count at bottom to equal the novel total?

ANSWER: I assume you don't have any front matter that is paginated separately? That would make the total page count higher than the number of the last page.

If you inserted section breaks between chapters, they may have become converted to Odd Page breaks, which would result in blank even pages inserted in some cases. If that's the case, then you need to go to the Layout tab of the Page Setup dialog and change the section break type back to Next Page (you'll have to do this for each problem section).

If you have any manual page breaks, then a change in active printer might have caused pages to reflow in such a way that you have pages with just a line or two on them (see

There are probably other factors that could be at work, but it's hard to say without seeing the document.

QUESTION: Hi. I went to print preview and found the blank pages. I am reading any and every forum to find a solution. I do have my front matter and back matter completed. This novel was ready on amazon for approval then when i went back to tweak the title page and the electricity went off and from them on every copy i open to view grows with blank pages.  My auto recovery went crazy.  It started making copies of files. Prior PDF downloads were dead on with CreateSpace requests and page count was perfect even with blank pages inserted in and after title page, copyright, etc. Susan, you are more than welcom3 to view the document or i will greatly take any suggestions.  For the mean time i will continue to read from forums and try any ideas.  Thanks Buddy

It sounds as if the document may have become corrupt (damaged). The article at has some suggestions that are applicable only to Word 2003 and earlier (not to the XML format used by Word 2007 and above), but you might try the suggestions. The first step might be to use Open and Repair (in the Open dialog, select the file, click the arrow beside Open, and choose Open and Repair).

If all else fails, you may need to remove all the existing section breaks, copy all but the last paragraph mark, and paste to a new document, then reinsert the section breaks and adjust pagination as needed for the front matter, etc.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors