Microsoft Word/find and replace to change order in reference list

Question
Hi Suzanne,

If I have a reference list full of entries using the format: 347:1227-32, 2002, is it possible to change that globally to the format 2002; 347:1227-32.? Thanks for all your help.

Jodi

Answer
I'm sure it's possible. Depending on what else there is in the entries, you may have to use wildcards, but if the entry consists only of the numbers in the format you cited, then it should be pretty straightforward:

1. Using Replace, search for a comma and space and replace with a tab character (^t). That will give you a list of entries in the format 347:1227-32<tab>2002.

2. Select the list and convert it to a table (how you do this will depend on what version of Word you have), selecting "Tabs" for "Separate text at." This will give you a two-column table.

3. Drag the second column to the left of the first.

4. Convert the table to text, separating the text with tabs.

5. Replace ^t with semicolon and space.

If there is other text in the entries (as I assume there probably is), then it can still be done, using wildcards, but I'd have to know more about how much variation in length there is in all the numbers. Obviously, the years will all have four digits, but the volume and page numbers will vary, and some may be single pages rather than inclusive pages. I think with wildcards you could allow for varying numbers of digits, but you might have to make two passes to cover single pages and inclusive pages.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill