Microsoft Word/Formatting merge fields

Question
Hi  I am using merge fields from MYOB into word templates and when it brings the information (numbers ie company number)into the merge field it brings it as one long number.

Can I use \* charformat formatting to specify the formatting I want (ie xx xxx xxx xxx instead of xxxxxxxxxxx).

Thanks in advance

Answer
Hi Alison,

Thank you for the question.

I recommend the following as practice to ensure that the document is behaving as it should

1. Type: rand()
2. Press Enter. This will give you some text to "play with", quick-and-dirty. Ctrl+A and format the text to 12 pt
3. Bookmark something, anything
4. Go to the end of the document; press Ctrl+F9. This will insert a pair of field brackets (we're doing this manually, rather than going over the dialog box)
5. In the brackets, type: REF [bookmarkName] \* CharFormat
6. Select the entire field and format it as xx xxx xxx xxx
7. F9 to force the field to update

How do things look in this simple test?

Now try repeating steps 3 through 7 in your existing document. How does this test look?

I hope this helps.

Mary Lindsey

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey