Microsoft Word/Mail Merge

Question
QUESTION: I am creating a directory of members and some members do not have spouses.  I would like to show members with spouses with the following merged fields: <firstname> & <spouse> and for those members without spouses: <firstname> only with no ampersand.

I have gone in to the Rules and created a formula but I can't seem to get that into my document?

Thanks,

Jack Devlin

ANSWER: Hello Jack

What version of Word are you using, is the list an excel list, access database or table in a word document.

Richard

QUESTION: Richard,

Thanks for responding to me so quickly.

To answer your question, I am using Word 2007 and my data is in an excel file.

Jack

Answer
Hello Jack

They may already be in there, press the Alt F9 key combination to show/hide the merge fields.

This should do what you want if you want to input the fields yourself using the Ctrl + F9 keys.

Hello {MERGEFILED firstname}{IF{MERGEFIELD spouse}<>"" "and" " "}{MERGFIELD spouse}

Richard
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Richard Stephens