Microsoft Word/MS Office Word 2000

Question
On May 25, 2013 I began having trouble with already created Word 2000 documents.  When I go to a directory and double click a specific file to open it opens to a gray screen without the previous documentation just a gray, blank screen. .. Operating system is Windows XP - in case you need that. .   

I had been able to create a new document, file it and as long as my computer remained on go back and re-use it that same day.  Not now.  File it and then when it opens = blank screen.  

In February 2013 I started using a registry cleaner SparkTrust PC Cleaner Plus.  On the 25th of May I contacted them and they said do a System Restore.  Ive been doing a System Restore everytime Ive turned off my computer since then UNTIL yesterday when the only available option for a restore point was the 25th of May.  I tried it without any luck.  Monday, 10-June I was able to use the 22nd of May restore point, but then yesterday everything prior to the 25th had been deleted.  In addition when I do a scan with SparkTrust the last couple of days, I receive an error message that there is connectivity problem between my computer and their server and to re-scan.  

I also have 2 versions of MS Office one for 2000 and another promotional package from AT&T MS Office Professional 2010.  When I use Word, it always reverts to the 2000 version.  

Im stuck (and frustrated) with 8-9 years of Word documents I cannot read.

Answer
I know that this is a known issue, but I've not been able to find a specific solution - one POSSIBLE solution is documented at http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1192737.  However, reading between the lines it looks as though you are (perfectly acceptably) opening files from explorer, which is firing up the default program - so this gives you an alternative - which would resolve both issues with Word.  That is, use the start menu or desktop shortcut to start Word and then use file, open to open the file from there - this SHOULD work without the grey screen issue.  It would also give you the choice of versions - when opening a file from explorer, windows will open it with whichever program has been associated with that file type - which would only ever be one association at a time.

I'm not familiar with the registry cleaner, so cannot comment on that part of the question - I hope that this answer points you in the direction of a solution, but if I can help further or if you need clarification please do let me know.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage