Microsoft Word/pagination problems in Word 2010

Question
hello Nancy, how are you?

I use Word 2010 and Word 2007, both with Windows 7.
Things have been going along pretty smoothly, when, in the last few weeks, the situation has changed!

I refer to pagination.

Using Windows 7, when I open a new file, create several pages and paginate, I find:

#1- the FIRST page shows page number 2 in the header
the SECOND Page shows page number 3 ,etc.
#2- when I look at the bottom left of the screen, the page numbers in the bar are correct.

this weird business has appeared out of nowhere! In the entire lifetime of this computer, some 3 years, I never saw such craziness.

With the cursor in the header space, the Design tab appears.
I go to the Options group and check the box "Different Odd and Even Pages" and "Show Document Text". When I look at the Header area, on PAGE 1, I see a box, colored blue, that says "EVEN PAGE HEADER", the box on the header space of the SECOND PAGE in the file shows "ODD PAGE HEADER",etc.

These are weird result, I think you'll agree.

Trying to print, I see results that are possibly ramifications of the problem just described:
When I want to print,say, page 4, I have two choices. I can click on the Current Page button, or I MUST ENTER "5" IN THE PAGES SPACE of the Print dialog box.Notice that I wrote "5", not "4".
If I want to print page 34, I enter "35" in the Pages space. You get the picture, I think.

In googling these problems, I found plenty of bloggers who wrote of the same problem in paginating that I describe above.
Various replies came back to the bloggers, warning them that the presence of sections and section breaks can lead to these problems.
So I point out that in my situation, there is only a single section, so the solution(s) lie elsewhere.

Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Chris

Answer
Chris - there is so much going on here it would not be possible for me to duplicate.

I agree, section breaks, page breaks, header footer settings and formatting page numbers all have a bearing on the setup of a document.

You can go to Insert page numbers, format page numbers and you have the option to change the starting page number, include chapter and continue from previous.  All these settings will have a bearing on the final appearance of pagination.

Headers and footers, different first page is relevant

The page numbering in the status bar is the reality of how many pages and not a reflection of what number will print out

If I want the first page to start numbering at page 2 then when I look at the status bar it shows I am on page 1 not page 2.

I can only suggest making a back up copy of the document and removing all settings and starting from the beginning, I know from experience it is very difficult to repair a document, it just gets worse.

All the best,
Nancy
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski