Microsoft Word/Suddenly Word Documents Won't Open

Question
Suddenly, out of the blue, none of my Microsoft Word documents will open. When I double click on a WORD file to open it, a message comes up saying, "uses a file type that is blocked from opening in this version".  When I try to open the file by clicking "Open" from the "File" menu, I get a message that says, "This file is locked for editing. Locked by another user. You can open this file as read-only". When I click on "Read-Only", I get another error message that says, "this is not a Word document. It may be in use or it may have characters not allowed". Of course none of this is true. Also, I am the only user of this computer so no one else can be editing my files. All of my hundreds of WORD documents have always opened just fine. I am on a Mac using WORD 2011. I also have WORD 2008.

Answer
I have not come across this message, and have no experience of Macs - which isn't a good start - but some googling shows that this is an issue that others have had - HOPEFULLY http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/doc-uses-a-fi may give you a working solution to the problem?
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage