Microsoft Word/TOC Hyperlinks Are Gone

I'm using MS Word 2010.  I've created a Table of Contents in the usual way, and it looks just fine.  The problem is that the hyperlinks don't take me anywhere unless I Control+Click the page number.  In past MS Word version, I could click anywhere within the TOC link, and...poof!..I went straight to the page.  Please explain how to make that happen in 2010.  Thanks!  :)

Hello Margaret,

Thank you for your question.

When you insert a web address, network path or hyperlinks in Word 2010 and move the mouse cursor over it, a smart tip for following the link using the Ctrl (Control Key from key board) + mouse click will be displayed. This happens because an option for opening hyperlinks with the help of combination Ctrl (Control key) + Click (mouse click) in enabled. By default the option remains enable when you install Word 2010 for the first time on your computer. The option is really helpful in many cases. Just you have to move the mouse cursor on the hyperlink, holding the CTRL key from keyboard and click on the link, this will open the hyperlink in the default browser selected by you. You can disable or enable the option as per your requirements. Go through some steps given below to disable or enable use of CTRL + Click to follow hyperlinks in Word 2010.

1. Open the "Word Options" dialog box by first clicking on the "Microsoft Office" button, and then following any one of the two steps mentioned below:
a. Click on the "Options" button, located under the "Word" tab.
b. Click on "Word" tab, and then click on "Option" tab located under the "Microsoft Tools" section from the right side of "Word" tab.
c. To disable the use of CTRL + Click to follow hyperlinks, first click the "Advanced" tab from the left pane of the "Word Options" dialog box then click in the checkbox for the option "Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlinks" to uncheck or clear it. You will find this option located under the "Editing Options" section in the right pane of the "Word Options" dialog box. Doing so will disable the use of CTRL + Click to follow hyperlinks.
2. Now click on "OK" button located at the bottom of the "Word Options" dialog box to close it.

Hope this helps you resolve the problem you are having.

Mary Lindsey
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey

I can answer all Microsoft Office 2000 to 2007 Word questions regarding formatting, styles, shortcut keys, simple macros, templates, forms, TOC, TOA, Index, Cross-References, etc. NO VBA.

Over 15 years as a legal Word Processing support personnel and Microsoft Word Master Instructor

Microsoft Office Master Instructor