Microsoft Word/Unstable Group Names of Option Buttons in Word 2007

Dear Richard,

I'm preparing a questionnaire with Word 2007 using Option Buttons (one of ActiveX Controls). So that respondents could choose only one option in a 7-point scale, I'm giving a Group Name for the buttons of each question (e.g., Q1, Q2...).

The problem is that Group Names of some questions change after I close the file and open it again. For example, I've typed "Q115" and it has changed to "Q113" for the all buttons of Question No. 115. I'm sure it is not my typing error as I've already corrected all the wrong Group Names once and it happened again after reopening the file. What is the problem and how could I fix it?

To make things faster, I have copied buttons from previous questions instead of inserting new ones. I suspect it might be somehow related. However, I'm sure that I changed the Group Names after copying the buttons (using the "Properties" for each button) and still the names would change after opening the file later.

I appreciate your help very much. Thank you!

Hi Kes

This usually indicates that an option button has been created in the wrong order, ie an option has been added in the middle of the pack.  I can't be sure though without seeing the document.  would it be possible for you to send me a copy so I can see what is happening.

my email is richard(dot)littlewing(at)gmail(dot)com

Also make sure that Word has all the current updates.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Richard Stephens

I have used word up to advanced, including Macros, very limited VBA. Basic to advanced questions are welcome. Currently using Word 2007 and 2010 but will try to recollect for earlier editions.

Teaching and business training for the last 15 years as well as running my own small business.

Adult Teacher and Retraining for Work Experience