Microsoft Word/Addressing Envelopes using Address Book

I have Windows 7; Word 2010.  I use Windows Live Mail for my email, calendar, and contacts list (address book).  When I go into Word 2010 to type an envelope, there is no address book icon to select a name from for the envelope.  I have to type in every envelope.  I would rather use the address book, but do not know how to link my Windows Live Mail address book to Word 2010 Envelopes.  Can you help?  And if so, please make your directions very remedial.  Thank you.

Unfortunately, Word is extremely picky about what it will use for an "address book." Unless you are on a corporate system that uses Microsoft Exchange, this basically boils down to just Outlook. My understanding of this has always been that the version of Outlook had to be the same as the version of Word, but I actually have Word 2003, 2007, and 2010 installed, and Word 2003 has no problem using the Outlook 2010 Contacts.

I can't tell you any way to make Word use the WLM Address Book because it won't. And even if you have Outlook and put addresses there, Word won't use them unless you have Outlook designated as your default mail client.

All I can suggest, then, is that you consider using Outlook if you have it available. I confess I resisted this for many years. I used Outlook Express under Windows XP (and earlier), and I was quite satisfied with it. There were things I didn't (and still don't) like about WLM, so when I upgraded to Windows 7, I made up my mind that I would use Outlook for mail. It take some getting used to (okay, a lot of getting used to), and there are still some features that drive me crazy, but there are pleasant surprises as well, and, on balance, I'm glad I switched.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors