Microsoft Word/PDF Hyperlinks

Hi Mary,

I have written an educational handbook in Word 2002. There are 9 separate files in the complete folder. I have hyperlinked a number of pages linking content amongst separate files. These work fine. None of the links are external ones, to web pages.

I want to produce the book as a PDF file as well as a Word file. I have saved the complete Word 2002 folder as a PDF using Word 2010. Unfortunately the links that operate within a particular file work OK but all the others - the ones linking between different files - do not. They go to my Google search page for some reason.

Can you tell me how to preserve/create the hyperlinks in my PDF file as well as my Word 2002 one?

Many thanks

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your question.

If you have Word 2010, please work within that version to get your hyperlinks to work correctly.  If you cannot do that, to preserve/create the hyperlinks in your PDF document, you must have the Adobe Acrobat Professional version. I am not aware of a reason why your links do not work, but with the professional version of Adobe, you will have the options to insert hyperlinks and bookmarks, page numbers, headers and footers, etc.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Mary Lindsey  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey

I can answer all Microsoft Office 2000 to 2007 Word questions regarding formatting, styles, shortcut keys, simple macros, templates, forms, TOC, TOA, Index, Cross-References, etc. NO VBA.

Over 15 years as a legal Word Processing support personnel and Microsoft Word Master Instructor

Microsoft Office Master Instructor