Microsoft Word/trouble with margins

Question
I am using Word 2007 and have not had trouble in the past.  However, today the blank page that opens when I click on word is not the correct size.  It shows 8.5 by 9.  The ruler on the left does not have any grey bar that would allow me to adjust manually.  I have been into page layout and tried to correct it there.  Those fields show that the page is 8.5 x 11.  On screen the page is only 8.5 x 9.  Also, the top and bottom margins don't exist even though the margins in page layout show they are 1 inch.  I don't have any idea what to try now.

Answer
Cheryle, it may be that you are in a differnt view.  There is page layout, draft and outline to name the most used.

They will each give you a different appearance to your document but the settings have not changed.

Go to the View  TAB and see what your settings are.  It should be under document views.

These are also represented in the bottom right hand corner of word Status bar to the left of the zoom setting.  I am currently viewing 2010 so it might be slightly different.

If your ruler still does not appear, again under the View tab you can select rulers.

Hopefully this will help.

Nancy
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski