Microsoft Word/Word 2010 - lock margins, header/footer only

Question
QUESTION: Good morning Suzanne,

I am attempting to set up electronic letterhead for my company.  I've set the margins and made the first page header/footer different from the 2nd, 3rd, etc.  Now all I have to do is lock the header/footer and the margins so that anyone can create a letter or document as they wish but are unable to mess with my formatting :)  Any chance it's possible to ONLY lock the header, footer and margins without restricting anything else?

Thank you in advance,
Nicole

ANSWER: Yes and no. The conventional wisdom is that content in the header/footer enjoys some natural protection from inadvertent changes (though this may be less true in Word 2010, where the header is somewhat easier to access) and that, if you have to protect it from intentional tampering, then you have a personnel problem rather than a technical problem. That said, there is an article at http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/ProtectWord2000PlusHeader.htm that purports to give instructions for "Word 2000 or higher"; the article hasn't been revised in a long time, so I can't promise that the macro will work in Word 2010, but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

The macro protects only header content (not footer, I think), and you can't protect the margins and other Page Setup setting without protecting the document itself. Again, this is really a training issue rather than a technical one. Better to give your users the benefit of the doubt and rely on their goodwill rather than frustrate them (and make them resent you) with unnecessary restrictions. If you make your template easy to use, users won't have any need to make changes.

QUESTION: Thank you Suzanne, I appreciate the promptness and completeness of your response and I understand that there is nothing she can do to change how Word functions.  Though I think suggesting that people can easily be coached into not changing settings to better serve their needs seems naive.  People will always try to adjust settings ('just a little') to make their letter/document fit onto one page, etc.  

Am I the only one who feels that setting up consistent electronic letterhead by locking headers, footers and margins only should be an easy and functional option in a word document?

Answer
There are ways to protect documents from changes in formatting, but I'm not really familiar with them since I'm a one-person shop. But consider what you're asking. If a letter will all fit on one page except for, say, the enclosure notice, do you really want a second page just for that? I have letter templates that I use for clients, and they often ask me to try to squeeze a letter onto a single page. There's a certain amount that can be done with text editing, font size, and the like, but sooner or later I'm going to need to reduce the bottom margin or side margins just a little. In most cases, generous margins have been allowed (1.5" bottom, 1.25" sides) to make short letters look good, so reducing them all to 1" (which still clears the footer) doesn't hurt. I actually prefer to do that *before* reducing the font size from 13-point to 12-point. If such changes actually better serve users' needs, then isn't it counterproductive to prevent them?
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill