Microsoft Word/Appendix Page # in Table of Contents

I want Appendix page number like A-1,A-2 etc. It could have been done by just adding "A-" before the page numbers in Appendices. However, I want the same (like A-1, etc) to be shown in the Table of Contents as well (In table of content it shows regular page numbers) How to do that? Another thing is if I may not want any page numbers for Appendices ( but want page #s of heading 1,2 etc) in Table of contents. How to do that?

Okay, I think what you're asking is how to either (1) have appendix page numbers listed in the TOC as A-1, A-2, etc., or (2) have appendixes listed without page numbers.

There is only one way to do (1): You must use the "include chapter number" feature in the Page Number Format dialog. To be used as a "chapter number," the number (or letter in this case) must be the paragraph number of an autonumbered heading in one of Word's built-in heading styles. For more on numbering appendixes, see

There are two ways to do (2):

1. Let's say you've used Heading 4 for your Appendix A, Appendix B, etc., headings. You can include Heading 4 in your TOC and suppress numbering for that level (by adding the \n 4-4 switch to the TOC field). By default, Heading 4 will use TOC 4 style in the TOC. If you want the appendix title entries to be formatted the same as a higher level (say Heading 1), then you can modify the TOC 4 style to match, say, TOC 1.

2. You can create a TOC based on the levels above the appendix level (Headings 1-3 in the above example) and then add another TOC based on just Level 4, with numbering suppressed. In this scenario, you can map Heading 4 to TOC 1 so that it will be formatted the same as Heading 1. To do this, in the TOC Options, clear the check box for "Outline levels," clear the numbers beside all the styles except Heading 4, and type 1 beside Heading 4.

For more on formatting TOCs, see In particular, if you want to use separate headings for the appendix number and appendix title but want the appendix titles to be numbered in the TOC, see

There is almost always a way to accomplish what you want in a TOC, but in most cases you will need to be willing to hand-edit the TOC field code rather than just depend on the Table of Contents dialog.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors