Microsoft Word/Complex Email Merge

Question
I am attempting to create an email message merge in Word using data from Excel. The letter, which is to be sent to our per diem employees to recap daily activies per pay period. It will contain several lines of data specific to each employee for each day worked. No matter what database I retrieve the data from the letter shows only one line of data, which represents one day’s work.  Is there a way for me to show the data for each person for the full pay period.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Answer
There are a number of ways of achieving this - the method I tend to use (as it enables me to control the formatting) is to have a decreasing count of each employee (using a countif function) so that I only merge each employee once by filtering the recipient list in word.  I then use a custom function to bring together the data.  An example of this (with the User Defined Function) is at http://www.aidanheritage.byethost3.com/excel/MergeExample.xls.  An alternative method is discussed at http://superuser.com/questions/527466/how-to-combine-several-records-in-a-single which contains further links to other pages.

Hope this gives you what you want, but do let me know if you need further help or clarification.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage