Microsoft Word/Heading in word2010.

QUESTION: Hi Fear Nancy
I used heading1 style for my chapter and create table of centent.
But it doesn't work properly. My document has 7 chapters. untill chapter 5 everything is ok , then in chapter 5  ahen i create a heading 2 for it, the number of chapter changed to 6.
Then in chapter 6 the number of chapter be 9 and in chapter 7 it changed 10 11!!!
How i can fix it?(it drive me mad)
Thanks in advance,

ANSWER: Sara - this type of formatting is difficult to troubleshoot without looking at the document.  

I am not sure if you are using Heading 1 for the first 5 chapters and then changed to Heading 2.

Always make a backup copy of the document (save it with a different name) and experiment with this one.

Are you creating the chapters first and then the Table of contents?  
Are you updating the Table of Contents as you go?
Have you used the Heading 2 style in other locations within the document?
Have you inserted page breaks and/or section breaks?

Have you tried clearing the formatting (after you have saved a backup copy of the document) and the reapplying the heading styles.

The following free Microsoft tutorial may be helpful.

QUESTION: Dear Nancy
Sorry for ambiguity in my previous post.
My chapter 1 style is Heading1, in chapter 1 i have some subchapters.
I define heading2 style for them(to going to level 2 in TOC)
But subchapters start from 6 in chapter 1.
for example it appear like this 1-6, 2-6 ,3-6,... instead of 1-1, 2-1 , 3-1,...!
I try to replace 6 with 1  manually(by right click>set numbering value> continue from previous list> advanced value) but get the following error:
"The value is less than the previous entry in the list . use a value that greater than previous entry in the list"
What is the best way to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance,

Sara - I missed this follow-up.

The only suggestion I can make is to insert a Section Break and this will allow you to restart the numbering.  I think this should work.  

For more information on section breaks go to...

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.