Microsoft Word/Opening & saving docs

My office uses MS 2003. My boss suddenly has a problem when he opens a file.  Instead of opening with the saved title, it opens as a new Document 1, then when he tries to save, it asks him to Save As a different doc.  What would make that start happening and how do I fix it?  I have looked at Tools, Options (and on all the other menu items) for any checked items that would cause this, but can't find anything.

Thanks so much for your help.

The bottom line is that Word is treating documents as if they were templates. It is pointless to speculate what caused the change in behavior, but fortunately it should be fairly simple to fix. Provided there is only one version of Word installed, you just need to "reregister" Word, that is, repair Word's file associations in the Windows Registry.

There are several ways to do this, depending on what version of Windows you have, but a way that should work in any version is this:

1. Open a Run box from the Start menu. If you have Windows XP, you'll probably find Run on the menu. In Windows 7, having Run on the Start menu is an option you have to enable, but you can open the Run box by pressing the Windows key and R at the same time.

2. In the box, type this:

winword.exe /r

and press Enter.

You may get a message that Windows is configuring Word, or it may appear that nothing is happening, but the end result should be that your problem will be solved. For more information, see
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors