Microsoft Word/Envelope Return Address

QUESTION: My default envelope has a business return address.  The address needs to be changed.  I only need to change the suite number.  I have changed the default letterhead template with no problems.  I have also changed the return address in the envelope. However, when I print and envelope the return address still shows the old suite number.  I have looked everywhere to change this and am having no success.  It's driving me bats!  Can you help me please?

ANSWER: I'm assuming you're using the Envelopes dialog and have changed the return address there but are finding that it keeps being changed back to the old one. If so, then that's probably because the return address information is drawn from the User Information you have provided in Word's Options. You don't say what version of Word you have, so how you access this information will vary:

Word 2003 or earlier: Tools | Options | User Information: Mailing address
Word 2007: Office Button | Word Options | Advanced: General: Mailing address
Word 2010/2013: File | Options | Advanced: General: Mailing address

This is where you need to correct the address. You can also have optional other return addresses; see You might also consider creating an envelope template that will allow you to have a more customized return address; see

QUESTION: Unfortunately, I have already changed the User Information.  I am stymied as to why it keeps printing the old suite number.  When I am in a letter and highlight the address and click on envelope it shows the NEW suite number but still prints the old one.

ANSWER: That suggests that some field is updating. If you switch to Print Preview, do you see the old address? If so, then the old information is still in some field somewhere. If you insert the UserAddress field, what is the result? It may be that you'll have to edit the Registry to correct this.

If all else fails, you could use the techniques suggested in

If I am to help you further, I need to know what version of Word you are using.

QUESTION: Sorry, I am using Word 2003

I'm still puzzled. I looked in the Registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\UserInfo), but the UserInfo key has keys only for Company, UserInitials, and UserName, so that's no help. Try deleting the content of Tools | Options | User Information: Mailing address and substituting a single space. Then close Word and restart Windows. Start Word and type the new address, then close Word and restart Windows again. If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.

But you haven't answered what you see in Print Preview and what you get if you use Insert | Field | UserAddress.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors