Microsoft Word/hebrew booklet printing

QUESTION: Hi, I have word 2010 and am trying to print a folded booklet. Since the document is hebrew I selected reverse book fold as the booklet has to print from right to left. However, it is printing with the pages all mixed up. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help

ANSWER: How are the pages mixed up? When you print "Book fold," the pages will not be in order but will be printed two-up in the order that will create a folded booklet. For example, for a regular (not reverse) eight-page booklet, you would get these pages:

8 and 1
2 and 7
6 and 3
4 and 5

If you print duplex, then the first two combination pages will be printed back to back one one sheet of paper and the second two pages on another sheet.

In a reverse booklet, I guess you'd have:

1 and 8
7 and 2
3 and 6
5 and 4

Are you getting something like this or something different? I have no experience with printing reverse booklets, and my experience with booklet printing in general is that it is often problematic. A frequent recommendation is to print the document to PDF (single pages) and then print as a booklet from Adobe Reader. To keep the pages the same size, select "2 pages per sheet" instead of "Book fold." You'll get the same pages but they'll print (to PDF) in page order, and Adobe then reorders them for a booklet. I'm not sure whether reversing the page order is an option or not.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, and in a clear manner. My booklet has 46 pages and when i printed it in bookfold and folded it in half the pages were in the following order. 1,26,3,24,5,22 etc. I cant figure it out. I have another unrelated problem as well. When I printed out the document , I fount that some old images that i had long ago deleted and were not visible in the document on the screen, were somehow showing up in the printed page, on top of the regular text. What can be causing this and how do i remove it? Thank you again

"My booklet has 46 pages"--there's your problem in a nutshell. Because each sheet of a folded booklet has four pages (two front and two back), the document must have pages in multiples of four. Add pages to make it 48 pages and then try again.

The images can be a real pain. Sometimes the problem is that the document contains fields that are updated at print time and introduce content that throws formatting off. In such cases, you should see the results in Print Preview. But users have also reported that images not visible even in Print Preview are printed. Some users have had success in seeing these images in Full Screen Reading view. If that works for you, then you'll need to enable editing in order to delete them: click on View Options at the top of the screen and check the option for "Allow Typing." You may need to check (or uncheck) "Show Printed Page" to see the extraneous images.

In the most extreme cases, I'm told that the only way to delete images is to edit the XML of the document. I have no expertise in that area, however.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors