Microsoft Word/problem with pagination

Question
hello Aidan, Happy New Year!

How've you been, and how's your family?

I use Word 2007, Word 2010 and Windows 7.
I have a 100-page document, with lots of graphics and captions.
I use Alt+I, then press the "U" key, to put page numbers in my headers.
The problem: looking at the first page, at the bottom left of the screen I see:

page:ii Section:1  Page: 1 of 106

The second page, again at the bottom left shows:

page:iii Section:1  Page: 2 of 106

and this pattern repeats, page after page; the Latin numbers are higher than they should be, by one. Looking at the page numbers in the headers, they are wrong by one...the first page shows a "ii" in the header, the second page shows a "iii" in the header, all corresponding to what is seen in the Status Bar after the word "page".

I've been told that the solution is to number the first page as zero; the page number in the header will correctly show "i". But I haven't been able to do this.
Another curiosity: when I copy and paste a few pages of this large document onto a blank file, the page number problem disappears in the new file, and all is well.

I look forward to your reply.

Answer
I haven't come across this, and it SOUNDS as though the formatting of the latin number is perhaps incorrect - or perhaps there is a blank page?  I'm assuming the latin number is the actual page number, the second page number being the page within the section?  A Blank section at the start of the document could therefore cause this problem?  Hard to tell specifically as it DOES appear to relate to the document - which I'm more than happy to look at - aidan.heritage@virgin.net

As to your good wishes, my grateful thanks - family are all well and growing!!!
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage