Microsoft Word/problems with pagination

Question
hello, Mary, and Happy New Year!

I use Word 2007, Word 2010 and Windows 7.
I have a 100-page document, with lots of graphics and captions.
I use Alt+I, then press the "U" key, to put page numbers in my headers.
The problem: looking at the first page, at the bottom left of the screen I see:

page:ii Section:1  Page: 1 of 106

The second page, again at the bottom left shows:

page:iii Section:1  Page: 2 of 106

and this pattern repeats, page after page; the Latin numbers are higher than they should be, by one. Looking at the page numbers in the headers, they are wrong by one...the first page shows a "ii" in the header, the second page shows a "iii" in the header, all corresponding to what is seen in the Status Bar after the word "page".

I've been told that the solution is to number the first page as zero; the page number in the header will correctly show "i". But I haven't been able to do this.
Another curiosity: when I copy and paste a few pages of this large document onto a blank file, the page number problem disappears, and all is well.

I look forward to your reply.

Chris

Answer
Hi Chris

Happy New Year to you.

Regarding the problem with pagination, I propose the following:

(1) Place your cursor anywhere on page 1 of your document
(2) Click the "Insert" tab to display the page numbering command box.
(3) Click the small down-arrow next to "Page Number" to display page numbering options.
(4) Click "Format Page Number" to open a dialog box with formatting options.
(5) Adjust the page number to ensure that your page numbers start at 1.
(6) Edit page numbers as you would other text in your Word 2010 document.

Please Note:  You do not have to change your page number to 0. Additionally the template of this document may have been corrupted.  

To fix this:

Select (CTRL+A)
Copy (CTRL+C) and
Paste (CTRL+V) all of the text into a new document and save the file.

Hope this helps. If it does not, would you send me a copy of the document (please remove any personal information) to edocsupport@icloud.com.  I will review and provide you information on my findings.

Mary  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey