Microsoft Word/mail merge

QUESTION: I am trying to produce labels from an excel file of customers.  In the past when I have done this, I see one page for the label setup but when I actually create the labels, there are more pages that have  all the addresses I have selected.  This time there are 198 pages on the setup (one for each customer).  Therefore, when I preview results each page duplicates the prior page with the exception of one record.  Obviously I set up something wrong but just can't find it.

ANSWER: To do mail merge you need ONE page of labels with the necessary field codes and the "next" field - the merge will create as many pages as are needed.  Microsofts page on label mail merge is

QUESTION: I understand that - however, why is this happening and how do I get rid of the extra pages?

I would ASSUME that your original document from which you do the merge has more than one page - assuming this is correct, delete all but the first page.  Each field apart from the last needs a next record field after it - the merge should then work.  If it still isn't behaving, mail me a sample of the document you want to merge ( and I'll work with it and get back to you.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards