Microsoft Word/Mail merge one recipient into multiple documents?

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I'm using Word 2010.
Instead of merging 60 recipients into one document, I need to merge one recipient into 60 documents.

I have about 60 Word documents, each of which needs to have my customer's name added at the top. (Some of the documents will contain multiple merge fields - not just the customer's name.)

Do you know a quick way to do this? My thought was Mail Merge, but I don't know how to go about it other than separately opening each of the 60 documents and merging each individually.

I have about 40 customers I need to make "packets" for. Please tell me there's a better way than opening and merging 2400 documents.

Thank you for volunteering and thank you for your help.

ANSWER: I think the easiest approach would be to make one VERY large document - bearing in mind you'd have to open each of the documents to insert the field codes anyway, I would save the first document with a different name, insert the field codes you needed for the merge, then insert the second document and repeat until you run out of documents - you now have one document containing the 60 that are needed for the pack and can merge that one document - still a little timeconsuming, but I think would be the easiest solution.  It would be possible to write a macro that opened each document, populated it and printed it, but I think this would not save any time (especially if the data locations [merge fields or bookmarks] don't yet exist in the source documents.

QUESTION: I understand your thinking on this. I was trying to avoid one very large document because the customer receives individual pdfs.

I would convert the very large Word file to one very large pdf and then split it into individual pdfs. I recently learned this is easy to do in Acrobat (which I already have), but I haven't figured out how to tell Acrobat to name the individual files the way I'd like. I've read online that a custom script may help. I think that's my next avenue of learning.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Answer
I think if you are going down the scripting route, you may as well get VBA to do the documents for you - as long as each document has bookmarks in place, or something that can be identified by the macro, this is relatively easy - happy to help further if needed - if it helps, direct email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage