Microsoft Word/MS Word

I am using MS Word 2000 on Win XP and recently have a problem. I can't find that I have made a change in it but now every time I save a .doc file it has a lot of gibberish added to the end of my document. If I delete the added text at the bottom and save the doc, it just resets all the added data under it. I can not find any setting that I have accidently set to make all of my saved .doc files do this. Even old saved .doc files have it.

ANSWER: Howard - this is a hard one as I am not clear what "gibberish" is.  It could be code or it could simply be that reveal codes is on.

It is possible that you have enabled Show/Hide, this simply shows symbols that are helpful when formatting a document.

There is a Show/Hide symbol up on your toolbar,  it is a paragraph symbol

It is a half round to the left of what appears to be s tall n

there is a keystroke you can try to see if this toggles the symbols on and off

three keys at the same time.

I hope this works for you.

QUESTION: The attachment is the gibberish that is at the bottom of all of my doc files. I didn't write that, it just appears at the bottom of a letter I wrote. If I highlite it and delete it and save and close the program as soon as I open it up again it is there again. It appears at the bottom of every letter or even a statement I write in MS Word. I can delete it and then save my letter I write but as soon as I open the letter again it has returned. Ctrl+Shift+8 just toggles the paragraph symble on and off. All that you see in the attachment is added to a leter I wrote, I didn't that, MS word added it to my letter and I can't get rid of it.

Good morning - I missed the attachment the first time.  

I was able to find one instance of this happening and hopefully it will be helpful

Suzanne S. Barnhil
#2 / 2

In the File Open dialog, change the "Files of type" setting from "Recover
Text from Any File" to "All Word Documents."

this is a response to the same issue you have.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.