Microsoft Word/WORD: fill colour stopped working

Question
QUESTION: The ' Fill' colour facility has stopped working in Word.  It works in Excel and Access.

Microsoft Office XP Professional.  2002

ANSWER: I would check the printer you have selected as a default printer - this is often the cause of colour related problems as a printer that doesn't accept colour would cause this problem - let me know if that doesn't work and I'll do more research.

QUESTION: My printer is a Canon MG5250 full colour combi and has been working fine with every software I have for a year now and, as i said, other programs have the fill facility working.   

The fill facility not working is a button, similar to the button which allows different text colours. which allows text to be highlighted with a background colour. There used to be a selection of many colours but it now indicates 'no fill'   Deleting and reinstating the button does not correct it.

Answer
I think it's the HIGHLIGHT option you are referring to but I've not been able to find anything to explain the sudden cessation of this function.  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=word+2002+highlight+not+working&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&safe=active&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tn5XVOjPIOPH8ge254DwBg&gws_rd=ssl MAY help (it's my most recent google search) - Sorry that this has not really solved the problem.  I am happy to look at a sample document in case that is the problem (aidan.heritage@virgin.net ) and it MAY be worth deleting the normal.dot file (the default template) in case the error is contained in that.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage