Microsoft Word/Table of Figures

QUESTION: hi Suzanne, how are you?

I'm encountering an unexpected problem. I'm using Word 2013 and
Windows 7.
I want to create a Table of Figures. My document is 100 pages long with many caption words, including "Figure", "Illustration" and "Picture".
When I create the Table of Figures, I see only a small portion of all the captions that I have in the document.

All the captions were entered manually.What can be the problem?

ANSWER: When you say the captions were "entered manually," do you mean that you used Insert Caption instead of auto-captioning or that you typed out the captions (including the labels) instead of using Insert Caption?

By default, the Table of Figures includes captions created with the Insert Caption feature that have the Figure label, but you can also choose Table or Equation or another custom label you have created.

If you have typed the captions manually instead of using Insert Caption, you can still create a Table of Figures based on a specific style. By default this will be the Caption style, but if you've used the Caption style for all your captions (Figure, Illustration, Picture), then they'll all be lumped together in one list. If you apply a different style to each type of caption, then you can create a separate list for each style.

In the Table of Figures dialog, you can choose which caption label to include (Figure, Illustration, Picture) IF you used the Insert Caption feature to create the captions. If not, click Options... to get the Table of Figures Options dialog. Check the box for Style choose the style of caption to include. The other check box, for "Table entry fields," is useful only if you created the captions using TC fields, which I assume you did not.

QUESTION: Hello again, Suzanne!

Thanks for your prompt reply. I literally, simply,  typed the captions. You reply that even so, I can still create a Table of, say, Figures. But I need your help regarding your advice, i.e., " can still create a Table of Figures based on a specific style".
I don't  know what I'm supposed to do. Please give me some specific steps.

You'll need to create a specific style for each type of caption. For example, select one of the figure captions and create a new Figure style based on its formatting. Repeat for the Illustration and Picture styles. Apply the appropriate style to each caption. Then, in the Table of Figures Options dialog, select one of the styles to create a list of those particular captions. When you go to create the second Table of Figures, Word may ask if you want to replace the existing one; be sure to say no!

If you have the lists one after another at the beginning of the book, be sure to leave at least one empty paragraph between them; because of the way Word's TOCs and TOFs work, a paragraph mark that appears to be outside the field is actually inside it, and you can run into trouble if you space them too closely.

In future, you might want to use the Insert Caption feature, which greatly simplifies creating tables of figures, lists of tables and illustrations, etc.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors