Microsoft Word/changing default for "show/don't show formatting changes" in Word

Question
Hi Suzanne,
I would like to change the default setting for the show/don't show formatting changes so that the formatting changes do not show when the document is opened.
Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks,
Lisa

Answer
Although it's not recommended, you can disable the setting to "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving." You don't say what version of Word you have, but here's where to find it:

Word 2003: Tools | Options | Security
Word 2007: Office Button | Word Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Privacy Options
Word 2010/2013: File | Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Privacy Options

Some users report that disabling this option doesn't entirely do the trick. In any case, it is a risky choice if the document is one that will be sent to others; do at least make sure you enable the setting (in the same location) to "Warn before printing, saving, or sending a file that contains tracked changes or comments." If you want to send a copy without markup, make a copy and accept all changes and delete all comments; don't count on the initial display to keep the recipient from viewing the markup.

If you have Word 2013, the default display is Simple Markup, which is minimally intrusive (change bars only).

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill