Microsoft Word/Eliminate a page number on page 1

Question
I'm creating a document that has 5 pages. I want to number the pages but I do not want a page number on page 1, just on pages 2,3,4 and 5.

From the ribbon I selected "Insert", then "Page Number", and "Boteom of page". This puts a page number on page 1 as well as numbering pages 2 through 5. How do I program page numbers to eliminate the page number 1 from the first page?

Answer
Hi Robert,

You didn't mention which Word version you are using so I will answer your question using my Word 2007 version.

Click the Page Layout tab.

In the Page Setup section of the Page Layout tab, click the Page Setup dialog box launcher icon in the lower, right corner of the section.

On the Page Setup dialog box, click the Layout tab and select the Different first page check box in the Headers and footers section so there is a check mark in the box. Click OK.

Youíll notice there is no page number on the first page of your document now.

However, you might want the second page to be page one of your document, only to find it is currently page two.

To change the page number on the second page to one, click the Insert tab.

In the Header & Footer section of the Insert tab, click Page Number and select Format Page Numbers from the drop-down menu.

On the Page Number Format dialog box, select Start at in the Page numbering section. Enter 0 in the edit box and click OK.

This allows the second page of your document to be labeled as page one.

You can use the drop-down menu on the Format Page Numbers button in the Header & Footer section of the Insert tab to add page numbers to your document as well. Easily insert formatted page numbers at the top or bottom of the page or in the page margins. Use the same menu to remove page numbers from your document.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley