Microsoft Word/Table/Column question

Question
Suzanne,
I'm using MS-Word 2007 (version 12) on a Dell Optiplex running Windows 7.

I need to put two separate tables (the same width) side by side on one page.  

I figured that the best way to do that would be to divide the page into two equal columns.  And then insert one table into the left column, and then insert the second table into the right column.  Is there a way to insert tables into columns?  I can create the tables with no problem.  And I can set the page layout for two equal columns.  But when I paste the table in the left column, it seems to delete the right column.  

Do you have a better suggestion as to how to do what I need to do?  (I.E.: Put two equal tables side-by-side on one page in MS-Word?)

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
You have to create the columns first, then insert the table(s). If you have already created the table, it will be full margin width and won't fit in a column (although setting the AutoFit setting to "Fit to window" should make it conform).

There is a gotcha to this: In order to have two *separate* tables, you have to have an empty paragraph between them. And if you insert a column break between the tables, to force the second table to the second column, that empty paragraph will be above the second table, making it lower than the one in the first column.

If you delete the paragraph, the tables join, and you can't insert a column break at all. So if you have to end the first column before the end of the page and it's not practical to force the second table to the second column by balancing the columns (inserting a Continuous break after the second table), then you have to format all the rows of the second table except the last as "Keep with next."

If you want a single table to be divided across two columns, then this is not a problem. If you set the heading row to repeat, it will be repeated at the top of the second column. And if you balance the columns, the table will be evenly divided.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill