Microsoft Word/Making a "Wiki-type" document in MS Word

Hi Ms. Barnhill,

You have been so helpful to me a few times in the past, and I have another question for you, if you don't mind, please.

First, I have Windows 7 (I also have a laptop with Windows 8, and I have an iPad with Apple's 'Pages' Word Processor.)

It doesn't matter to me whether I need to get MS Word 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, etc.. (Same with Student Version, or Home, or Professional, or Business ver., etc..) Or, I don't know if you know anything about OpenOffice's word processor, or any others..

Basically, I will be happy if you will just tell me which MS Word version (OR any of the others) that you know that this method (that I'm about to ask you about) will work with.

For instance, I'm pretty sure that you couldn't do this in the older versions of MS Word.

Anyway, a lady on TV recently was showing how this was done, and I caught only the end.

She was writing, I think a (long) instructional-type 'book', or 'guide', in Word. Many keywords throughout the guide, were hyperlinks (just like Wikipedia), that, when you click on it, it takes you to the page which has information about that particular word.

So, I guess a few assumptions must be made.

First, each 'topic' of the guide - such as the topic (or I guess you could call it a 'Chapter'? Maybe not..), such as: "Tuning the Fuel Injection System," for instance, must be a SINGLE PAGE (even though the LENGTH of the 'page' doesn't matter (meaning that a "page" in your 'Guide' can cover, say, 20 or more ACTUAL pages - in Word).

Also, when I am FINISHED with the topic, "Tuning the Fuel Injection System," I guess I would give it the appropriate page number ("27," etc.), and then I would "Start a 'new page', entitled, say, "Tuning the Exhaust System."

"Tuning the Exhaust System," (p.28), as it appears in the Word document, is actually (visually) right under: "Tuning the Fuel Injection System" (p. 27), but is actually an entirely 'separate page' - for the sake of the 'wiki' system.

So, as an example,  say that I am on 'page 53.' Page 53 is entitled: "Maximizing Engine Air Intake." As I read that page, about 'engine air intake,' I come to a word, "carburetor" and it is a hyperlink. I want to go back and refresh my memory about 'carburetors,' so I click on it.

When I click on the link, it takes me to the "Carburetor" page (or "section" of the document, actually). After I read it, I click the "BACK" arrow, to go BACK to the previous page (or "section") that I was reading ("Maximizing Engine Air Intake").

So, I guess what I'm asking, is, HOW, within a Word document, can I make a "guide" like this?

I'm not sure how to 'separate' the document into different sections, or "pages."

OR, should I, for each "page", begin a NEW DOCUMENT, title it, and number it?

Will (MS Word) automatically 'wiki-fy" ALL of the other same words in the entire 'guide', pointing EACH one to the SAME appropriate section? (i.e. If I make the word "engine" a hyperlink, and point it to the "Engine" page, will MS Word instantly/automatically make EVERY OTHER instance of the word 'engine' - in the entire guide (in every section) a hyperlink, that ALL point to THAT particular page, "Engine" ?

Will I have a "FORWARD" and "BACKWARD" arrow to go forward & backward, or do I name each document Title.mht (or another similar extension), so it will automatically open in the default browser?

How, though, do I COMBINE the documents, if I DO need to create a NEW document for EACH topic/"page"?

How could I ADD to the 'Guide' - later?

I'm sorry that I've made this so (probably unnecessarily) long.

I suppose that I could have just said, "How can I make a wiki, or "wiki-type" guide in MS Word, in which the hyperlinked words refer back to sections (JUST within MY GUIDE) in which I manually point the hyperlink?

If I have been too confusing, I understand. If you happen to know of a page on the Internet which would tell me mostly what I'm trying to do, instead of you spending your time to explain it, that would be fine with me.

I would be MOST appreciative of ANY help that you could give me in creating a Wiki in MS Word - instead of a dedicated "wiki-creation" program, since most people DO have Word, and could open it, without needing any kind of proprietary software.

Thank you so much,

To the extent that this can be done in Word, it can be done in any version of Word. You can select any word or phrase and make it a hyperlink to some other location in the document. If you have applied one of Word's built-in heading styles to the title of your page, then you can link to that heading; otherwise, you would have to create a bookmark. When you select text and press Ctrl+K, you open the Hyperlink dialog, in which you can select "Place in This Document" and choose from headings and bookmarks.

When you use Word's built-in headings for your page titles, you can also automatically generate a table of contents in which each entry is hyperlinked to the appropriate heading.

To return from any hyperlink, you can press Alt+LeftArrow, which operates the WebGoBack command, just as you would use Back in a browser.

See for general information on using hyperlinks in Word. That particular article is written for Word 2007, but you can open the Hyperlink dialog with Ctrl+K in any version.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors