Microsoft Word/dots between lines

You answer this ladies question which was
I have a 159 page word document that I add to everyday.  When I opened it today there were dots between every word.  I have no idea how they got there and more importantly how to get rid of them.  I have clicked on every button I could think that would help.  Thank you for any help.

I think I have word XP

I have word 2010 and what you told her doesn't seem to apply to mine help please.

Randa, to the best of my knowledge the dots between words are because show/hide is on.  Control+Shift+8.

There will be a dot where ever there is a space.

In Word XP you can go to the Tools menu > Options > Display and see if there is a setting that might apply.

I would ask if you created the document or did you receive it from someone else?

What is the source of the document?  Is this a document you created or one you copied and pasted from another source like the internet?

If this is only one document, then you might try copying and then pasting as plain text in a new blank document.  If this is on all documents that it is one of your settings.

Your may be corrupted.  You can delete the file and restart the computer and it will regenerate itself.  You will lose any new styles you have applied to a new blank document.
You can review the following.

I hope you can resolve the problem.  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.