Microsoft Word/Duplex printing multiple page sizes and layouts

Question
Good morning Suzanne,

Firstly, I am using Windows XP and Word 2003.

I have a document of 11 pages long which is all set to A4 portrait layout apart from pages 7 and 8 which are A3 and landscape.  I am trying to print this as a duplex document, however the second A3 page always comes out upside down to the first.  It appears that the document is using the long edge for the binding, which works fine for the A4 pages but not for the A3 pages.  I have tried changing this in the settings but this affects the entire document.  It does not appear to be the printer settings, as I have tried different printers as well as printing to pdf and the issue is always there.

Any help you can provide would be most gratefully received as I have now spent hours toiling with this and am slowly going insane.

Kindest regards,

Oliver

Answer
As you have discerned, landscape pages have to be flipped on the short edge in order to duplex correctly. AFAIK, there is no way to print a combined document like this in a single pass. You will have to print the portrait pages in one pass, with the printer set to flip on the long edge, and then make another pass to print the landscape pages, flipping on the short edge.

These ARE printer settings: in the printer Properties, there will be a setting that determines how pages are duplexed. For example, my HP LaserJet has a single dropdown list labeled "Print on both sides." The choices are "No," "Yes, flip over," and "Yes, flip up." My HP OfficeJet has a different selection: when you change the setting from Portrait to Landscape, there is a picture showing how the pages will flip, but there is also a "Flip up" check box that reverses the default flip for either orientation. So it varies by printer. And if you print from Adobe Reader, when you choose "Print on both sides" in the Print dialog, you get additional choices of "Flip on long edge" and "Flip on short edge."
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill