Microsoft Word/printer problem

QUESTION: hi Richard!

I use Windows 7 with Word and Excel 2010. I printed a Word file and the text was uneven, some text will solid with ink, other text looked famished.
So I suspected that my cartridges need replacing. Then, I ran a Windows Printer Test Page, and the result was perfect- solid letters, plenty of ink!
I ran the Word file again with the same poor results.
How can the file be defective, but the Test Page is good?
The printer is an HP841C Deskjet. It runs fine until this happened.

Your thoughts, please.

ANSWER: Is it just Word, or do other applications also print garbled?

QUESTION: hello Richard!

the same thing happens in Excel as well.

Try other applications like Notepad, Adobe Acrobat, etc. If they have the same problem it's likely a printer DRIVER issue. Data may be getting garbled on the way from the computer to the printer. See if the manufacturer has updated drivers.

The printer self-test page is stored in the PRINTER'S memory, so it doesn't involve communicating with the PC at all.

If it's only Word and Excel, try uninstalling and reinstalling Office. In either case, this isn't a MICROSOFT WORD issue, it's probably a PRINTER issue and you'd need to take it up with their tech support.  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions about Microsoft Word - everything from the basics all the way up to more advanced features like Mail Merge, Outlining, Revisions, etc. Also, please be sure to check the Microsoft Word Tips & Tricks and Microsoft Word Tutorials sections of my web site.

I have been teaching Microsoft Word in the classroom since 1994, and online through computer tutorials since 2002.

I have been volunteering on AllExperts in the categories of Microsoft Access, Visual Basic, and Weight Loss for many months now.

I have created a line of computer tutorials online at and

Personally, I am self taught. I've learned everything I know from books and trial & error.

I have over 20,000 happy clients worldwide.