Microsoft Word/printer problem

hi Nancy!
I use Windows 7, Word 2010 and Excel 2010.
From time to time, I find the printed document to be of poor quality, i.e., some characters are sort of dim, a white line (it resembles a strikeout line, but is actually a lack of ink)
appears throughout entire lines of text.
Oddly, when I go to Print Test Page, the latter appears to be in  excellent shape.
How can this be, what does it mean? Do I need to install new cartridges?
The printer is an HP Deskjet 841C, quite old, but works well.
Your thoughts, please.

Thank you.

Chris, there are known compatibility issues with Windows 7 and some printers.  I would check the following HP site and be sure you have the latest updates for your printer.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.