Microsoft Word/Exclusion Dictionary

Question

Once I have created an exclusion dictionary, can I send the txt file to a coworker to use, so that he/she doesn't have to create the same dictionary from scratch? If yes, what steps would my coworker take?

Thanks for your help!

Answer
I don't see why not. If you have Word 2003 or earlier and have created an .exc file, you would just send it to your coworker with instructions on where to save it. If it's Word 2007 or later, you'd have to copy the content of the edited .lex file and save it as a text file, and your coworker would have to open the corresponding .lex file on his/her computer and paste in the content of the text file. It's possible that an edited .lex file could be substituted for the existing one (with the same filename) on another system; that might be worth a try.

In case you haven't already consulted it, see http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/ExcludeWordFromDic.htm for more about exclusion dictionaries in all versions of Word.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill