Microsoft Word/side-lining

I have typed a booklet into the computer for someone and now wish to add his markup. He uses single and double underlines withing the text, which is easy enough, but also uses single and double "side-lining" (vertical lines down the outside of the text) to singly and doubly emphasize larger sections.

I know I can use the line drawing tool in a pdf editor, but I would like to have a Word solution if possible. More importantly, it would need to adjust to any future page setup changes I might make. So, it would need to be linked to the actual text emphasized rather than a paragraph.

For entire paragraphgs, you can do this with a paragraph border. The border can be placed up to 31 points away from the text, and there are several line options (including single and double in various weights). The article at is old and partly outdated, but the way borders work has not really changed.

Note that if any of the paragraphs are indented, the borders will be in a different place, so this might not be a universal solution. You might find it more suitable to use single-column table cells extending into the margins, with paragraphs indented within the cell as required.

For portions of a paragraph, another solution will be required. I think you'll have to use drawing objects anchored to the text.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors