Microsoft Word/different types of pilcrows

Question
I'm a relative novice to MS Word.  I have both 2003 and 2007.
I'm trying to reformat a booklet written by someone else. After learning a bit about styles, I figured that it would be an easier task if all the formatting symbols were visible.
I see lots of pilcrows/paragraph marks which have the inside part filled in with black.
But I also see quite a few pilcrows that have the inside part empty or white.  What does this mean?  Are there different types of pilcrows?  I've Googled to no avail. Help!

Answer
Hi there Manny,
This link shows the basic formatting marks in Word. http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

These have been standard for a long time, so there shouldn't be any difference with this list and your version of Word.

I'm wondering if perhaps the font in that particular paragraph where your pilcrow is hollow has been set to the "Outline" setting, or the font that is being used is a hollow font?

These are my only ideas! I hope I've helped in some way!

cheers
-Karen

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Karen Lee Biddle